New Maternity and After-Care Facility
at Belmont Abbey
Thanks to the generous donation of land from the Benedictine Monks of Belmont Abbey, the new residential facility is located just a few steps from Belmont Abbey College. This site is the nation's first College-Based Maternity and After-Care Facility of its kind that provides pregnant college women with the option of continuing their education while having their baby in a free long-term and comprehensive program. Whether they commute from our residence to other regional colleges or take credits at Belmont Abbey College to transfer, these women will benefit from the skills of the 24-hour professional staff, campus ammenities and the caring and supportive environment before, during and after their pregnancy.
Why A College-Based Facility?
When asked, many college women who had abortions in college say that with some support, they would have chosen a different option. This new facility provides that much needed assistance.
Some believe that Room At The Inn’s program could become a national model.
What does the facility include?
- Two residential wings that can accommodate 15 mothers, 15 infants and 4 toddlers
- Amenities designed to meet the distinct needs of college students, including a location in close proximity to a college campus, the opportunity to take transferable credits at Belmont Abbey College or commute to other area schools; and a safe and supportive environment
- Each private residential unit is equipped with a bedroom, bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, extra sink with counter and furnishings
- A number of common areas including laundry facilities, an indoor children’s play room, a chapel, a kitchen, dining area, lounges, and playground
- Administrative and counseling offices, and residential managers’ quarters
Is it Open?
Yes! We have completed all necessary inspections and licensing requirements and are now interviewing and accepting new clients.
Will there still be services in the city of Charlotte?
YES! Room At The Inn continues to operate its Outreach Center in Charlotte. HUNDREDS of women each year come to the Outreach Center for support, education and material assistance. Room At The Inn is honored to continue this much-needed service in Charlotte.